Sunday, May 1, 2011

Choosing a pen-name for my compositions

I have more than thirty compositions to my name till date (May 2011), except there is no name! My good friend and advisor Vivek Datar pointed this out a few months ago. Since then, I have been trying to come up with a neat pseudonym for me to sign my compositions...

Historically, there are a lot of "Ranga"s (colors) - Sadarang (Niyamat Khan), Adarang(Firoz Khan), Ramrang (Ramashreya Jha), Sabrang (Ustaad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan), Manrang, Hararang, Dilrang, Sur-rang, Shyamrang, Navrang, Rasarang, Premrang, Gyanrang, Dinrang, etc...

There are a lot of "Piyas" (meaning, lover) - AkhtarPiya, PremPiya, Sugharpiya (Bhaiyya Ganpatrao), DarasPiya, PraanPiya, etc.

There are a lot of "Das" (meaning, servant) - Ramdas, Gunidas, Premdas, etc.

And then some clever ones like Darpan (means mirror, Yunus Hussain Khan), Chatur Sujaan.

And then deep, disturbing ones like Shoka (means mourning, Pt. Kumar Gandharwa).

The ideal pen-name will reflect my personality, my personal ideology, but also have other shades of meanings that can be woven into different semantic contexts while creating the poetry.

Early morning today, I had a flash of inspiration: Naad (नाद) means [the cosmic] sound, music. Rang (रंग) means color. 'Naadrang' (नादरंग) thus means "The color of music", a multi-sensory experience! Another variant, Naadrangeele (नादरंगीले) means "one engrossed in music".

I hereby declare Naadrang' (नादरंग) as my nom de plume

1 comment: